our history (so far)
The story of our church begins many years ago as leaders from The Orchard in Tupelo began praying for their friends in Oxford and seeking God’s leadership in beginning a new church with a contemporary presentation of the Gospel in our town.
In August of 2006 Pat and Sarah Ward moved to Oxford to begin the groundwork for the new church. “We set up a small group Bible study, began meeting people in the community, worked on shaping the vision of the church and did a lot of praying in those preliminary days,” says Ward.
The first official gathering was on Sunday night, January 28th, 2007. Our first meetings were in The Powerhouse Arts Center on Universiy Avenue and we stayed there for our first two years together. During that time, we started having morning gatherings too. Last summer, we were able to move into The AMP movie theater after we outgrew The Powerhouse space, but had to move out a few months later after The AMP went out of business. At the beginning of October 2009 we moved back into The Powerhouse as we search for a more permanent home for our morning services.
During that same month, we began an evening gathering at Rooster’s Blues House, a local bar on the Oxford Square.
In March of 2010, we moved into our new location at 1606 Molly Barr Road. The building was formerly a restaurant, nightclub and also a funeral home. Many church members worked very hard to make the place look as good as it does today.